2018-19 calendar and attendance zones up for approval Monday night

Noah Servigon

Monday’s regularly scheduled Frisco ISD Board of Trustees meeting will discuss numerous items in regard to the 2018-19 school year. The public portion of Monday’s meeting begins at 7:30 p.m.

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-chief

Zoning and schedule changes for the 2018-2019 school year are on the agenda for Monday’s Frisco ISD monthly Board of Trustees meeting starting at 7:30 p.m. in the FISD Administration Board Room.

With the district opening four new schools, including Memorial High School, students throughout the district will be subject to rezoning.

“Zoning in FISD looks at two main priorities, how do we zone to open a new campus and how do we rezone to established campuses,” Director of Planning and Business Operations Scott Warstler said. “Final decisions are made using the FISD Zoning Tenets and determining how we can best give students opportunities at each campus. A campus with projected enrollment at 115 percent when we can relieve that school by rezoning to a campus at 70 percent is always a solid choice.”

The board has been communicating with the public and is using the feedback in the decision making process.

“We received 438 emails and 59 phone calls from the community and we responded to all of them,” Warstler said.  We listened to the community and took the feedback to see if their options gave students more or less opportunity. The most difficult part of rezoning is while a particular parent doesn’t want their child to be moved, we have to look at the district holistically and make decisions that are best for every child over a period of time.”

Also, up for adoption at Monday’s meeting, the 2018-19 school calendar as board members are expected to decide whether the first semester should end before winter break on Dec. 21 or after break on Jan. 11.

For students such as senior Christian Santosa, it’s as easy decision.

“I don’t like the fact that the semester ends after winter break,” Santosa said. “I would prefer if it ended when winter break starts. If it was like that, then you could go back to school with the outlook of a fresh start.”