Registration opens for military assessment

Registration begins Monday for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitutde Battery for interested sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The test is being administrated Wednesday.

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-Chief

The application for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test is available Jan. 8 through 12 for those interested in entering the Armed Forces after high school.

The ASVAB is available for sophomores, juniors, and seniors, and serves to assess if an individual will have future academic and occupational success in the military. Having previously served in the army, the school’s S.R.O. Glen Hubbard sees benefits in serving after high school.

“Going [into the Armed Services] right out of high school depends on who you are and what your maturity level is,” Hubbard said. “It definitely forces you to grow up and be in the adult world. It’s a rigid system, but I think it teaches discipline if you’re lacking that.”

The test results will not be distributed to Armed Service Recruiters by the school, but students can share their results if they’re looking to join the Armed Services.

“You can do everything in the military that you can do in the civilian world, and they’ll pay for your schooling,” Hubbard said. “They will teach you training and things like that in a career you’re interested in.”

Students are required to provide information on their name, date of birth, gender, and education level. The test will occur on Feb. 12 at 1 p.m., with another testing opportunity in April at the CTE center for those who are unable to attend the original test.