NAHS art exhibit celebrates visual art during Youth Art Month

Student+artwork+lined+the+hallways+Friday+night+for+the+National+Art+Honors+Society+Art+Gallery+Show+with+students+not+only+having+the+chance+to+display+their+art%2C+but+topotentially+sell+it+as+well.+

Minuki Medis

Student artwork lined the hallways Friday night for the National Art Honors Society Art Gallery Show with students not only having the chance to display their art, but topotentially sell it as well.

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-Chief

In honor of March being Youth Art Month, the National Art Honor Society sponsored an art exhibit Friday night for NAHS members, as well as those outside of the program, to share around 200 pieces of artwork with the community.

The purpose of YAM is to celebrate visual arts among youth and cultivate a sense of support for quality school art programs.

“It’s a great way for students to connect and see other works of art by students here at Liberty, especially from the other art classes and those who aren’t in classes,” NAHS sponsor and art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “It’s also a great time to bring the family out, and they participated in the activities: shrink art, glow-in-the-dark art, and button making. It was a nice time for people to create and view art.”

Students could make the decision to sell their art, with profits going directly to them, and two works of art were sold, earning $40. However, the main purpose of the exhibit was to showcase and create art.

“Many times, we keep our work to ourselves, but when we have the chance to show others, you feel good that you can leave an impact on people,” NAHS president Victoria Gong said. “We had middle school and elementary school kids come and participate as well. Everyone had a great time, and people were able to showcase their creations, so it was really cool.”

With many members of the community in attendance, students were able to experience what it’s like to have those outside the school acknowledge their work.

“I love when other people look at my art and are able to see that part of my life,” senior Rabita Rahman said. “I had a lot of fun doing all the activities with my friends, and I hope NAHS continues to put on more shows in the future.”