Theater’s One-Act Play advances to district

Theater 1 students continue to explore the art of theater through storytelling and scriptwriting with a project that began by having  students write a fairy tale they remembered from there past and create two scenes based off of it, and now, students are required to make an adaptation of those two scripts.

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-Chief

Theater’s UIL One-Act Play: She Kills Monsters advanced to the district level after placing second in zone B and receiving six individual awards for All Star Cast and Crew.

“This is the second time in Liberty history that we’ve advanced past the first level,” senior James Fagan said. “Being given that award was just proof of all the hard work and dedication each member of this cast put in. It’s been an honor to work with them.”

Advancing offers the cast and crew not only recognition, but a chance to improve their show in the next competition.

“It’s exciting to have the chance to perform again, and our focus is on connections between characters and telling the story,” junior Stafford Johnson said. “[Advancing provides] public speaking experience, as well as work on the ability to use artifice.”

Theater will be attending the district level competition Monday at Lone Star High School.

“After district we could advance to bi-district and then several other competitions before state competition,” junior Jordan Miller said. “District is different because we will be competing against five other schools as opposed to three from zone.”

Despite the increase in competition, theater students are feeling positive about spreading the play’s message of acceptance in the following competitions.

“Personally, I think they will go amazingly,” Fagan said. “But the only thing that truly matters is telling the story. I think we’ve done that, and will continue to do that however far we get.”

All Star Crew

Kyle Strickland

All Star Cast

James Fagan

Mac Lyell

Honorable Mention All Star Cast

Eduardo Borja

Katie Mark

Jordan Miller