• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

Sincerely Sydney: Military provides options beyond high school

In+her+weekly+column%2C+staff+reporter+Sydney+Gish+provides+her+take+on+high+school+life.+

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish provides her take on high school life.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

The next step most people think of after high school is going to college. Throughout each year students get a niche for want they want to do and a lot of times those plans can change depending on how the person changes. However, there are many people who say college isn’t for them and it’s not the path they want to follow in life. Most of those people are unsure of what they want to do and never consider military branches as an option.

Deciding to enlist takes a lot of thought and shouldn’t be an impulsive decision. There’s some who say they would like to join, but it’s more of a pipe dream or backup plan without any research conducted. Firstly, it is not a regular job and you can’t opt out if you don’t like it. There is a contract that is signed between you and the military and you can go to jail for simply being late. Orders are also given by the President of the United States, which even if you don’t agree with you are legally obligated to follow those rules as you took an oath.

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well,”

— Walter Reuther

The choice should also be based on future plans. Is this a career or just until your time served is over? If you want to continue and having a family it can be hard with all the traveling and possible becoming stationed all over the world. There’s many branches including the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. Each one is different and should be researched, however there is travel involved in all of them. There’s also specific tests to be passed, like the ASVAB, it’s not like you join when you want as it is a process.

I remember during freshman and sophomore year always passing the tables during college week for enlisting, however I never went up to talk to them because at the time it was something I thought would be cool but not practical for me. Now as I’m older and I’ve actually looked into it is something I want to continue to find out more about. There are many articles stating why someone shouldn’t join, but it’s not for everyone and someone else’s opinion shouldn’t stop anyone from pursuing something they want. I mean I’m really considering this as an option, except I am a very petite girl which isn’t the vision for someone serving.

Joining also provides a multitude of education benefits including tuition assistance, paid tuition due to the Post 9/11 GI Bill which is a good option for those who want to attend college but can’t afford it. Many also receive long-term care, free tax preparation, life insurance (some receive $400,000), and mortgage help.

All in all joining the military is for people who are enthusiastic about serving their country, not just because they had nothing else to do. Those experiences and memories made can shape you for the rest of your life and will need to be able to react quickly through high stress and death situations. While I have not decided what I want in my future I definitely remain interested and hope to find opportunities where I can learn more.

Walter Reuther said,

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.” This is the best way to easily sum up what it’s like to enlist, so don’t take it off the table yet and think that there’s no way you would ever join without being open minded towards it.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter

Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is...