Wingspan named one of nation’s top online publications

Brooke Colombo, Editor-in-Chief

• WTV and Wingspan staff members Isabella Santiago, Roy Nitzan, Mady Daddario, Kasey Harvey, Brooke Colombo and Keegan Williams hold their awards at Yerba Buena Gardens park in San Francisco.

• Receiving the NSPA Online Pacemaker Saturday in San Francisco, editor-in-chief, senior Keegan Williams holds Wingspan’s plaque.

• Seniors, Brooke Colombo and Keegan Williams, go to receive the Online Pacemaker, also known as the Pulitzer prize of journalism, for Wingspan

• Holding the NSPA Online Pacemaker Finalist Award, sophomore Kasey Harvey stands next to editors-in-chief, seniors Keegan Williams and Brooke Colombo who hold the NSPA Online Pacemaker Award presented Saturday, April 14, 2018 in San Francisco.

• Receiving a rank of Superior, the highest award given, senior Brooke Colombo holds her certificate for Feature Writing at the JEA/NSPA convention in San Francisco on Saturday, April 14, 2018.

• Junior Isabella Santiago holds her award of Honorable Mention for Broadcast Newswriting presented at the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco on Saturday, April 14, 2018.

• Senior Mady Daddario, junior Isabella Santiago, and sophomore, Roy Nitzan hold their awards given after competing in the JEA write-off contests in San Francisco.

For the third year in a row, Wingspan has been nationally recognized as winners of the Online Pacemaker, often considered the Pulitzer prize of journalism.

Wingspan traveled to San Francisco for a five-day trip and attended the JEA/NSPA National Competition and Convention, where the award was announced.

“It feels really good because knowing that I’ve been in the program for three years and the program is only three years old, and we’ve won it for three years,” senior editor-in-chief Keegan Williams said. “That’s really cool, and I don’t know any other publication that can say that they’ve been able to get that high of an award that many times and that quickly at the start of their publication.”

Hoping to continue the legacy, sophomore sports editor Kasey Harvey looks forward to taking on the role of editor-in-chief for her upcoming junior year.

“With Brooke and Keegan being seniors, I think it will just kind of set the standard on what needs to happen for the years to come, and next year all the work that they’ve done, that’s where I need to be next year,” Harvey said.

With college around the corner for senior editor-in-chief Brooke Colombo, she believes the Online Pacemaker will impact her in the future as well.

“I’m actually doing journalism in college, so having this on my resume is really helpful,” Colombo said. “It shows my program that I’m worthy of being in it, and hopefully it’s helped me prepare for real journalistic experience out in the field later on.”