Week long festivities show appreciation of teachers

Melody Akbari and Caitlyn Kleibert

Aliza Porter, Staff Reporter

Teacher Appreciation Week began Monday and runs throughout the week with many local businesses providing teachers with free food or discounts. On campus, teacher appreciation festivities got a head start.

“We organized a teacher appreciation luncheon on May 3rd to work around testing schedules,” PTSA president Susan Thomas said. “During the week of the celebration, May 7th- May 11, we will be leaving little notes, treats, and little gifts to remind them how special they are. In conjunction with our Cane’s luncheon all Liberty teachers will get to eat for free at Cane’s on Custer Rd., on Tuesday.”

Since 1984, the National PTA has designated one week in May as a special time to honor the men and women who lend their passion and skills to educating children. Teachers across the nation will be honored and rewarded for the role they play in children’s’ lives by the schools and participating businesses.

“Teachers do hard work everyday,” PTSA member Katia Rafaeli-Saikoski said. “Lunch is always busy and quick, almost no time for a chat. When we get all of them together for lunch and say “thank you”, you can see the smile on their faces. It is important to celebrate so that they feel there is a moment where they are the true stars of Liberty High School. It is a moment for them. They do a lot for the students. It is important that they see that we do something for them.”