• Color Guard continue through Thursday

Documentary project helps students review for AP exam

AP+Lang+students+in+Kacie+Smith%27s+class+work+on+their+final+project%2C+a+documentary+over+an+argumentative+topic%2C+which+is+designed+to+help+them+review+for+Wednesday%27s+AP+exam.+
AP Lang students in Kacie Smith's class work on their final project, a documentary over an argumentative topic, which is designed to help them review for Wednesday's AP exam.

Noah Serviogn

Noah Serviogn

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

‘Tis the season to be busy as countless classes work on projects as the school year comes to a close. For AP English Language and Composition students, that means getting into groups and creating a documentary on an argumentative topic to share with their teachers and peers.

“We chose this because it was an excellent way to review the skills in a non-traditional way before the exam,” AP Lang teacher Kacie Smith said. “In addition, this project allows students to work with a topic they feel passionate about, which means they will put more effort into it in the long run.”

Looking to mix things up a little, teachers thought that assigning the project would be a great way to review for the AP test on Wednesday, along with allowing students to pursue topics in which they feel strongly about.

“Students are supposed to integrate all the skills of rhetoric that they have learned throughout the course of AP Lang and synthesize them together effectively into a final product,” Smith said.

Students also feel that through the documentary making process, they are building useful skills to use towards the AP test.

“With all the research that we have to do, I’ve learned a lot of facts about my topic which I can use as evidence in the AP Lang essays,” junior Sydney Graff said.

Along with facts to use on the final exam, some students feel like they’ve learned more about their community through the documentary project.

“My group project is about the city of Frisco and its surrounding areas,” junior Joanna Lee said. “I feel like I’ve learned a lot about the history of the city and how it has evolved over time.”

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter
Katharina Santos is a junior and staff reporter for Wingspan. She is a member of NHS and president of 3:16 Bible Study. In the future, she plans on either becoming a writer, a business mogul, actress, or Instagram influencer…Whichever comes first. You can usually find her stuck behind a laptop editing photos, blogging, volunteering at...