IDs now required for all staff and students

Improved school safety the goal

For the first time in school history, students and faculty on campus will be required to wear their ID badges while at school in the effort to improve school safety with students expected to get their 2018-19 IDs on Monday. 

One of the issues we’ve always had on our campus is making sure that only students that are Liberty students are on campus,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “We have so many extra doors and students opening doors to let kids in. The biggest threat is letting a student opening a door for a student who doesn’t belong to our campus.”

Only a few schools in the district are piloting the program in 2018-19, with information such as whether or not a student has late arrival, early release, or a class at the CTE Center, being a part of each ID.

Will the requirement of students and staff to wear their ID at all times make the school safer?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“ID badges allow staff and other students to know who’s in the school,” school resource officer Glen Hubbard said. “If they have their ID badges, you know they belong here. Hopefully, it will make them feel more secure. They are taking a little bit of ownership in the security of the school.”

Not all students agree with Hubbard as some such as sophomore Sara Aldana aren’t sure they’re needed.

“I think they’re kind of useless because most of the students that attend are already here,” Aldana said. “Also, most students don’t let new people into the building.”