StuCo launches Ramen Noodle Food Drive

Instead of the traditional food drive, Student Council is hosting a Ramen Noodle Food Drive Nov. 2-6 to collect food that will be donated to local food banks.

Sarah Philips

Sarah Philips, Editor-in-chief

Student Council will begin its Ramen Noodle Food Drive next week, a change from the usual general food drive that they have run in years past.

“We have not experienced success with general food drives in the past and other organizations also do food drives,” Student Council President Jay Schlaegel said. “So we wanted to do something a little different this year. I believe Ramen is an alternative solution that people will rally behind.”

Student Council chose Ramen for the focus of the food drive because of its low price and its status as an easy meal for all ages. Student Council members themselves are planning to make contributions to the drive next week.

“If you Google how much it costs for one Ramen box, the answer is 13 cents.  We had a teacher the other day buy a 12 pack for about a dollar,” Student Council senior team lead Rob Rever said. “I’m going to go to Costco and see how much I can get for twenty dollars. That might take two or three trips but I’m going to try to donate as much as possible.”

Rever’s and other Student Council members also decided to change the process of collecting food drive items. In the past, food would be collected in third period classes. However, this year the organization is looking for a more efficient practice.

“We built a giant, yellow, colorful box for the Ramen,” Rever said. “It’s going to be in the rotunda, right at the entrance to the school where everyone can see it. You can’t miss it. We’re going to fill that thing up and we’re gonna keep emptying out because people are going to keep bringing Ramen.”

Student Council will be collecting Ramen all next week. Students can drop their ramen in the box in the rotunda at any time. Donations will be spread out to different local food banks and organizations.

“If a student spends a couple dollars, five dollars, or ten dollars then they can get a substantial amount of Ramen,” Rever said. “It would be amazing if we could get thousands of Ramen packets donated. I know they’re going to appreciate it because Ramen is an easy meal for everybody, in need of food or not.”