Costumes for humanities, not Halloween

Sydney Heal

Dressing up as historical figures, Nicholas Do, Garrett Reeves, Vagmin Viswanathan, Ritesh Ravi, Austin Carnline take part in a GT Humanities project in the library on Tuesday. “All the kids are coming in costume and they’re all people who impacted the world in some way during the modern era,” teacher Elizabeth Evans said. “Then they’re having to mingle in costume and ultimately they’re having to write a paper that kind of synthesizes what they’ve learned from each other into it.”

Aliza Porter, Assignment Editor

Costumes in October usually mean the celebration of Halloween, but on Tuesday, humanities students were wearing costumes for a historical activity.

“All the kids are coming in costume and they’re all people who impacted the world in some way during the modern era,” GT Humanities teacher Elizabeth Evans said. “Then they’re having to mingle in costume and ultimately they’re having to write a paper that kind of synthesizes what they’ve learned from each other into it.”

Humanities students played their role as historical figures from the modern era as soon as they walked through the library doors.

“I hope to gain a better understanding on how events of the world related during the time period and I gain a better appreciation for different cultures,” sophomore Adarsh Javvaji said. “We’ve prepared for this project by first researching our character and how we can really exemplify all that the character stands for: their motivations, their beliefs, their past, and their future.”

While one student shared his hopes for increasing his knowledge through the activity, one student was able to share his experience following the activity.

“I gained knowledge about globalisation between a multitude of countries, along with meeting different people from different eras,” freshman Nikhil Koya said. “Just finding similarities between what my character did compared to what, for example, Ivan the Terrible did, for like Russia.”