5 student athletes commit to colleges

With family, friends and teammates watching, 
seniors Rachel Rhoades, Lauren Burrell and Noah Thompson were among the five who signed a Letter of Intent to continue playing their sport in college on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

Halle Barham

With family, friends and teammates watching, seniors Rachel Rhoades, Lauren Burrell and Noah Thompson were among the five who signed a Letter of Intent to continue playing their sport in college on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

Sarah Philips, Editor-in-chief

Five senior athletes who will continue their athletic careers in college formally committed to their future universities Wednesday morning by signing their Letters of Intent in front of family and friends in the library.

“It feels pretty good,” University of Houston diving commit Lauren Burrell said. “I’m really excited. All the hard work I put into it really paid off.”

In addition to Burrell, the four other athletes heading to college include baseball player Noah Thompson (Seton Hall University), volleyball player Rachel Rhoades (West Texas A&M), golfer Chase Fritz (Sonoma State) and golfer Cheleen Cousins (Midwestern State).

Chase Fritz and Cheleen Cousins were two of five student athletes that signed a National Letter of Intent in the library in front of family and friends on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

“I’m just grateful for the opportunity to play baseball on the Division-1 level,” Thompson said.

Even though these student athletes have played for many years, college is a whole new playing field.

“It’s really exciting, but at the same time it’s really nerve wracking,” Rhoades said. “I’m ready for the faster pace of the game and joining a new team, but I’ll miss the girls.”

With many seniors still unsure about their future plans, these five are happy to have a plan for the next stage of their life.

“I feel incredibly honored to play golf for such a great college like Sonoma State,” Fritz said. “It has been a dream of mine to play for a school that offers not only the ability to grow as a student, but also as an athlete. I look forward to the the opportunity to play and can’t wait to see what the next four years has to offer.”