All Voices Matter: vaccinations

In+her+weekly+column%2C+All+Voices+Matter%2C+staff+reporter+Aviance+Pritchett+gives+her+take+on+social+and+cultural+issues.+

All Voices Matter: vaccinations

In her weekly column, All Voices Matter, staff reporter Aviance Pritchett gives her take on social and cultural issues.

Aviance Pritchett, Staff Reporter

Winter is the season when viruses begin to peak, which means you’re more likely to catch a nasty sickness if you don’t take extra precautions. The CDC says that the influenza in 2018 is worse than the swine flu outbreak back in 2009, which killed around 200,000 people worldwide.

Everyone hates getting sick, so that’s why we have medicine and vaccines to take care of us. But there is a small minority of people who think some vaccines cause autism (it has been proven multiple times that they do not), and for them, that’s a good enough reason to not get their child  vaccinated.

But please, vaccinate your kids.

Not just your kids, get vaccinated yourself if need be.

For the safety of not only you and your loved ones, but for the safety of everyone around you. As of September 2, 2018, at least 6,000 people have caught measles, and 72 have died from it, in the US there were 124 recorded cases.

The measles used to be extremely common back in the days when vaccinations weren’t available, and it’s even common now in other countries in that similar situation. In the U.S., it’s extremely rare to catch it thanks to vaccinations with the vaccine for measles lasts for almost an entire lifespan. Basically, these 124 cases in the U.S. are probably as a result of not getting vaccinated.

Vaccines aren’t going to cause autism. They aren’t a myth created by the government to infect the public with viruses that turn us into praying mantis hybrids.

Vaccines exist to keep us safe.

There are places like CVS and Walgreens that will happily get your vaccinations done. Don’t put yourself and others at risk because of your paranoia of catching some random, nonsensical disease, or because of your fear of needles. It only takes a few minutes, and the pain is only temporary.