• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Frisco FD leads the way in blood transfusion training

With new training and technology, Frisco FD is now able to administer blood transfusions on victims before reaching a medical facility. With the CDC reporting traumatic injury as the leading cause of death among those aged 1-44, this innovation could have life-saving implications.

Katharina Santos

Katharina Santos

Katharina Santos

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

The Frisco Fire Department became the first department in North Texas to gain the capability of administering blood transfusions on patients before arriving at a hospital thanks to new training and technology.

“Prior to today, patients who needed blood were completely dependent on how fast we could get them to a hospital,” Dr. Mark Gamber, DO, Frisco Fire Department Medical Director said in a press release. “Now, with early transfusion for severe blood loss, Frisco Fire will give critically ill patients a better chance of survival.”

The innovation is thanks to training with the department’s EMS leaders and a process developed with Medical City Plano to store and keep blood ready to use.

“Frisco Firefighters are committed to providing the highest level of care possible. This program is definitely a team effort, and I would like to thank Dr. Gamber and Medical City Plano for the hard work and assistance to get this program started” Frisco Fire Chief Mark Piland said in a press release. “Traumatic injury is the leading cause of death from age 1-44 according to statistics provided by the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Minutes count when a patient is dying of blood loss and Frisco Fire Department is now even more prepared to respond.

Campus Student Resource Officer Glen Hubbard recognizes the implications of the new training and believes it speaks for the city’s emergency response services.

“It would be immediate care for victims, with the blood products actually helping keep the body alive almost immediately,” Hubbard says. “This innovation shows we’re trying to lead the way in professionalism and training, and just trying to be beyond the cutting edge of what’s going on to help serve the people of Frisco.”

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Lucas Barr is a junior entering his third year of newspaper. After two years as a staff reporter, he is returning as editor-in-chief. He plays the violin,...