One stop shop for fine arts

Kicking+their+legs+high+in+the+air%2C+the+Red+Rhythm+dance+team+practices+their+Winter+Extravaganza+performance+in+the+auditorium.+Beginning+Thursday%2C+the+team+will+resume+tryouts+for+next+year.+

Rachel Zhu

Kicking their legs high in the air, the Red Rhythm dance team practices their Winter Extravaganza performance in the auditorium. Beginning Thursday, the team will resume tryouts for next year.

The school’s first ever Winter Extravaganza on Tuesday and Wednesday is bringing all the fine arts departments together for performances in the auditorium beginning at 7 p.m. both nights.

“This is the first time our fine arts department has ever done an event like this,” senior Tay Nguyen said. “It’s gonna be really awesome to see everyone share the stage.”

“You can go to one show and see everything rather than going to multiple different shows for other stuff so it’s nice to just see everything in one place,

— senior Bonita Tapiawala

Students have been preparing for weeks to refine their skills before the big show.

“So for drill team, specifically, we’ve been preparing over the past month,” senior Bonita Tapiawala said. “The dances that we put into this performance have been dances we’ve done before so it’s recycled choreography so we’ve been doing as a warm up every day and then finally in the last like two weeks we’ve been trying it on the stage, getting spacing and stuff.”

Senior Maddy Kennedy anticipates to present all the hard work she has put in during the rehearsals leading up to the show.

“We’ve had choir rehearsals after school and we are practicing in class,” Kennedy said. “I hope that people enjoy it and that we don’t mess up and that our songs sound good.”
The show provides audience members the chance to experience the multiple different aspects of the fine arts department in one place.

“We just hope that the audience really enjoys it and that the girls have fun The Winter Extravaganza really shows the talent of Liberty,” Tapiawala said. “You can go to one show and see everything rather than going to multiple different shows for other stuff so it’s nice to just see everything in one place.”

Along with showcasing all their work, senior Chris Yu hopes the performance is a fun and enjoyable experience for all those involved.

“Honestly, I hope it’s a lot of fun for everyone involved,” senior Chris Yu said. “It’s really long and all the tickets are sold out so a lot of people are expecting good things to come and the entire fine arts department has been working really hard. So hopefully when we perform it’s a blast to watch and a blast to perform.”

The show allows each department to showcase their art to the other fine arts programs.

It’s a cool opportunity for students and families of one department to attend a mini performance by other departments that they wouldn’t usually see,

— senior Tay Nguyen

“I think it’d be really beneficial to this campus because it’s a unification from the fine arts department,” Yu said. “It’s only a very few times that we actually get to come together and kind of get to showcase what we do.”

The Winter Extravaganza allows audience members expand their experiences as they get to watch new things from various fine arts programs.

“I think it’s beneficial because it showcases all the different departments in our fine arts department,” senior Tay Nguyen said. “It’s a cool opportunity for students and families of one department to attend a mini performance by other departments that they wouldn’t usually see. I know that many of my friends and family haven’t seen performances outside of our orchestra department.”