Defending state champions ground the Redhawks

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

• Senior and captain Madison Hernandez leads the team in the right direction while taking on the Wolverines on Tuesday, January 15th at home.

• Sophomore Jonathan Siv dribbles the ball around the Wolverines on Tuesday, January 15th at home.

• Senior Justin Parri dribbles the ball down the field against the Wolverines on Tuesday, January 15th at home.

• Junior John Keene looks onto the field as the Redhawks take on the Wolverines on Tuesday January 15th at home.

Taking on the defending 5A state champions Tuesday night, both the girls’ and boys’ soccer teams fell to the Wakeland Wolverines with the girl’s losing 5-1 and the boy’s falling 3-1.

“We started strong and scored first, definitely shocked some people [but] let down our guard the rest of the half,” girls’ head soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said via email. “Came out super strong second half; Wakeland got an offsides goal, which kind of took the wind out of our sails.”

Although falling prey to the Wolverines, Mokler thought the Redhawks fought hard, but still have room for improvement.

“They took some risks, they fought hard, [and] moved the ball well,” Mokler said. “Need to improve on playing a little smarter under pressure, winning tackles, and taking shots outside the 18 yard box.”

Following the girls’ game, the boys took to the field in hopes of an upset against the returning UIL state champions, but came up short by two goals.

“We played well, but took an unfortunate loss,” senior Gavin Clark said. “The game was a lot closer than what the score reflected. We will meet them again soon.”

While the team put forth effort throughout the game, boys’ head soccer coach Fred Kaiser believes that the competition revealed areas that the Redhawks could work on.

“We played pretty well, but made a couple mistakes that Wakeland were able to capitalize on,” boys’ head soccer coach Fred Kaiser said. “We possessed the ball pretty well, kept our cool when things got a little bit tough, continued to fight throughout the game, but we need to work defensively on our shape and watching the backside.”