ISM students showcase work at the home of the Dallas Cowboys

Kennedy Williams

Taking over the indoor practice field of the Dallas Cowboys, Independent Study and Mentorship students from throughout Frisco ISD presented their work to the community at the annual ISM Research Showcase.

“I thought the ISM Showcase was really cool,” senior Alison Fong said. “I got to see a lot of people and their projects with their mentors, and it was super cool to see what they were studying. Some people were studying science and business, and even fashion design. One girl created this whole entire wedding dress, which was really cool.”

Students had the chance to present the public with tangible products of their research along with their early plans for the current semester.

“I encourage anyone and everyone that is slightly interested in the program to apply because it really does so much for you, and Coach Goff is such a leader and role model for you as a student,” senior Madalyn Roehrig said via text. “Even though it’s a lot of work it doesn’t seem like a lot of work because you’re so passionate about what you’re working on.”

Required to follow a mentor in their path of study, ISM creates opportunities for high school students to get a glimpse into their chosen career path.

“I think the research showcase was a great opportunity and I do believe it will help me in the future,” senior Vince Matrone said via text. “It taught me a lot about conducting myself as a professional. Additionally, I believe the opportunity to connect with those that attended as well as improve my communication skills is something that is unmatched.”

• Showcasing his work in mechanical engineering, senior Roman Trujillo presents his ideas of biomechanics and prosthetics at the ISM showcase at The Star.

• Featuring students from all across Frisco ISD, ISM students show off their research in their chosen field of study.

• A part of Roman Trujillo’s project, ISM features anything from mechanical engineering to dietetics as students take steps toward setting up their future.

• Studying gene therapy this year, senior Kaitlin Shin smiles as she discusses her original work with attendees.

• Senior Brayden Miller answers questions about his original work as he studies medical research this year at ISM.

• With an opthalmologist as her mentor, senior Elana Breslav presents her research and holds a pamphlet featured in her original work.

• Conversing with attendees, senior Edward Chen describes the progress of his project as ISM brings him into the world of finance.

• Senior Kanika Kappalayil explains her original work at Wednesday’s showcase as she prepares to begin work towards her final product.