All eyes on Red Rhythm as they look to maintain their Grand Champion title

Hoping to defend their title as Large Team Grand Champions, Red Rhythm will compete in the Danceline North Texas regional dance contest on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019.

Sydney Bishop, Guest Contributor

Red Rhythm competes at the Danceline North Texas regional dance contest Saturday, where they will be defending their title as Large Team Grand Champions.

“Winning Grand Champions has taught me that Red Rhythm is a driven group of individuals and can overcome any obstacle,” drill team director Nicole Nothe said.  “It has taught the team that they can work hard and enjoy contest season. I love watching the girls shower each other with positive comments and support.”

Winning Grand Champs was also a learning experience for the dancers.

“Winning grand champions taught us that if we set a goal and we put in the work, it is possible to reach the highest level attainable,”  junior lieutenant Ashleigh Rose said.

Sophomore line member Abby Strater believes that the victory also had a lot to do with the bond of the team members.

“Winning last year really showed me truly how strong our sisterhood is,” Strater said. “Positivity can be so hard to keep consistent but it really did pay off in the long run.”

Unlike football games, Saturday’s contest presents a different challenge.

“The biggest barrier we face approaching our competitions is being confident when we hit the floor,” vice president social officer Haley Hammons said. “The atmosphere that is at a contest can be a very overwhelming. I want our girls to be sure of themselves and the routines we have been working on to leave their best out on the dance floor.”

In order for Red Rhythm make sure that everyone is on the same page, they have collectively set goals they everyone hope to achieve this contest season.

“This year, at the end of football season, we all sat down and had the opportunity to share what we wanted to work for,” junior first lieutenant Ellie Cline said. “In small groups we all made goals for the team and how we would achieve them and then created an overall and cohesive goal.”