Free breakfast for students on Thursday

Free breakfast for students on Thursday

The cafeteria will be open on Thursday morning to give students taking the STAAR test. This allows students who did not eat breakfast the chance to eat before testing.

Melody Tavallaee

Melody Tavallaee

Melody Tavallaee

Shreya Jagan, Guest Contributor

With the intent of helping students reach their maximum potential during testing, and to make sure that all students have the proper nutrition for STAAR testing, students can get a free breakfast in the cafeteria on Thursday.

“The Child and Nutrition department at the district office decided that for STAAR and EOC testing days that they wanted to help support student success and make sure that every student had breakfast on testing days,” counselor Staci Stokes said.

McDonald’s offers a free breakfast on STAAR testing days for students in 3rd through 8th grade, but this is a first for the school.

“We haven’t done this in years past,” Stokes said. “It was something new that we decided was good for the school and it’s students.”

Breakfast before the STAAR provides an opportunity for students who didn’t eat breakfast.

“I find it very beneficial for a school to do this,” sophomore Michael Martin said. “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it’s best to start it off on the right foot. To be energized and to be in the right mindset before heading into a big test is very crucial. I think it’s nice to help the students out and make sure they’re performing their absolute best on these standardized tests because us students are the future generations.”