Two theatre students nominated for Dallas Musical Awards

Using a 3D simulation to set the scene and test out lights for upcoming theater productions, junior Kyle Strickland has been nominated from the Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musicals Awards for his extensive work in lighting design and technical theater.

provided by Kyle Strickland

provided by Kyle Strickland

provided by Kyle Strickland

Nominated for the 2019 Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musicals Awards, senior Maya Koch and junior Kyle Strickland are being recognized for their work on the school’s November production of “Singin’ in the Rain”.

One of 12 nominees for Best Lighting Design, Strickland’s nomination is about more than lights.

”It’s not about fancy colors or flashy lights, it’s about how the designer can best implement what they have,” Strickland said. ”So being nominated for that proves to me that I can.”

Working with dance teacher Nicole Nothe, Koch put in a lot of time into her work on Singin’ In the Rain, resulting in a nomination for Best Choreography.

”It was really important to me because I spent so long working on the show and choreographing it,” Koch said. “I’m really honored that they thought my work was worthy of the nomination.”

Hoping to pursue a career in lighting design for technical theater, Strickland is excited about the possible resume boost he’ll get from his nomination.

“It’s a huge benefit for me wanting to go into lighting design professionally in college, or a huge thing that I could put on my resume on, on my portfolio and it stands out,” Strickland said. “Seeing that you’ve been nominated for such a high level award.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...