Testing students progress

Testing students progress

Despite Frisco ISD bragging on the fact that students don't have to take finals, Wingspan's Caleb Wai touches on the positives the exams could have on both testing the progress of teachers and students.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Caleb Wai, Guest Contributor

Currently students have STAAR tests at the end of every school year with FISD students not having to take final exams. However, students can develop a stronger understanding of the material taught in class if they had an exam at the half-way mark as well as at the end of each school year.

Midterms and final exams are tests that cover all the material that was taught in class before the exam. It helps the school and teachers make sure that students know the material and remember it so that they could apply it later in their life. When students are taught a specific topic the class works on it for some time, but later on most students forget that material. However, midterm and final exams are a great way to test students of the material they learned before.

According to Psychology Today spaced learning helps the students develop a long term memory status for what they were taught. Spaced learning means studying something new then having a delay of not getting exposed to it, and then review it again. Final exams are a great way to practice spaced learning. For example, if a student was taught a subject during September and there’s an exam in December the student would study the material he/she learned on September and this would enhance long term memory of the subject.

A final exam can also help the staff and teachers the evaluate how the teacher is doing in the class. By looking at the scores of each student and the average score of the class the staff can decide whether the teacher is teaching effectively to the students. The teacher can also correct their way of teaching to a way that will effectively help the students learn by evaluating the scores of the student’s exam.

Midterms and final exams are probably the worst part about school for teachers and students because of the dreadful weeks of studying and preparing before the big test. However the studying can really benefit the student in the long term by helping them remember the material for life.