Keeping Up with Kanika: communication with friends

From+social+issues+to+stuff+happening+on+campus%2C+senior+Kanika+Kappalayil+provides+her+take+in+this+weekly+column.+

Juleanna Culilap

From social issues to stuff happening on campus, senior Kanika Kappalayil provides her take in this weekly column.

Kanika Kappalayil, Staff Reporter

Recently, I had attended my friend’s 18th, known in the Filipino tradition as a girl’s Debut celebration.

As one of the eighteen girls asked to present her a rose for the custom, I had to write a brief wish for her, describing my hopes for her and her future as the event itself was to celebrate her coming of age.

I realized once I set myself to start working on my brief speech for her that it was so easy to communicate how I wanted the best for her and to go on and on about the beautiful and wonderful person she is.

I know with most of my friends we just don’t hush about each other like that on the regular. More often, it might look like we hate each other based on our interactions if anything.

I think, however, it’s nice to remind the ones around you how significant they are to you in your life and show them your love and appreciation.

I truly am proud to know and be close to the friends I have around me. I’m glad that it’s so easy for me to go on and on about them.

I always want to keep that energy for and about them.