Serious political change requires action

Lucas Barr

Another special legislative session is being Monday to discuss many important topics including political boundaries, transgender students in sports, and COVID-19 vaccines.

William Walker, Guest Contributor

It would seem today that everyone and their mother hates the government for one reason or another, I can’t say I am any different, I am not a fan of where this country seems to be headed.

However it would seem that the only way anyone wants to change things is by voting or whining about how bad things are on Twitter. While voting can affect things, such as the election of Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Donald Trump, complaining doesn’t do anything to solve problems. If one desires serious change, real action is necessary to bring about the desired changes.

Throughout history, serious change has primarily been achieved through either mass civil disobedience or violent action/revolution. To be clear I am not recommending anyone engage in violent action unprovoked.

The reforms of the civil rights movement were achieved through mass protesting to bring about change, and the American Revolution created a new country out of the crucible of the violent American war of independence. These sea changing historical events were brought about through serious action, not by complaining about how bad the situation is.

Serious political change in the world can only be brought about through meaningful action on the part of large numbers of people. The establishment that one seeks to reform or get rid of doesn’t fear small complaints, talking and doing nothing means absolutely nothing. Change happens slowly and only after a lot of variables line up correctly.