Library embraces change in student culture

Although the library still contains row after row of books, changes in technology over the years have led many libraries to change their environment from one of quiet to one that promotes collaboration.

Amber Holt

High school is often demanding to students because it requires much more attention and time than elementary and middle school in order to succeed in not only students’ current classes, but also later in college. With that kind of stress, students often need a go-to place away from the chaotic high school life for peaceful studying.

However, in recent years due to advancing technology, libraries have become more interactive.

“We’ve gone more digital with our nonfiction and our reference,” librarian Jeana Chetty said. “I’ve gotten rid of half of the reference that was here originally, just because we don’t need it. And we have great virtual reference, so that’s so much better when you can search it.”

With the enhanced technology, the traditional library environment has transitioned into a different setting but some students aren’t pleased.

“A lot of people need a place to study and work on things and the cafeteria isn’t really the best place for those things, so people go to the library,” freshman Kanika Kappalayil said. “Which you would expect to have a more quiet environment, but it’s pretty loud and defeats its purpose of providing a great study and learning environment.”

While Kappalayil disapproves of the change, some students are okay with it.

“Because I don’t really go there to read, I go there to check out books,” freshman Alisha Ramdeep said. “So if people are collaborating in study groups and stuff, I totally understand so it’s fine for me.”

For many students, the library has been the hub for many activities for a while.

“It’s still the same, with students rushing to finish homework in the mornings and quiet and calm during the day,” senior Shiori Naito said.

As a result, the busy activity of the library has integrated itself as a normality as well as a sign of productivity.

“I get nervous when it’s quiet,” Chetty said. “I am definitely not a shusher and I feel like kids are loud if they’re learning. In fact, I’m a fan of noise and movement. As a matter of fact, if we can get rid of more tables for movement based things, that’d be great.”

The library is also a place where teachers feel comfortable sending students if they need to work on an assignment.

“I would absolutely expect a student to get his or her work done if sent to the library,” Humanities and PreAP English II teacher Sarah Baker said. “I trust Mrs. Chetty’s supervision, the library isn’t crowded during class times, and many people are able to get work done in noisy spaces.”

Although some students yearn for a quiet learning environment before and after school, many people believe that the social norm for the library is changing based on the demand from students.

“I think the needs of students are changing, and they are beginning to learn more in a collaborative way,” AP Language teacher Kacie Krug said. “Life is about collaboration, so why not have an awesome resource, like the library, be more reflected the reality of today’s student?”