Redhawks return to campus for new school year

Perry Mellone

The halls were filled with students as the campus kicked off the 2019-2020 school year on Thursday.

1,944 students came to campus on Thursday for the first day of the 2019-2020 school year. While it was the first day for students, teachers have been preparing for the beginning of the school year by coming in five days early to prepare.

“We got a lot of work done during staff development,” English teacher Hope Rojas said. “We were able to meet with other teachers that teach the same subject, and plan out some lessons and first day activities. I think the first day of school is a great opportunity for everyone to get to know each other and get comfortable, and then afterwards you can get into a routine.” 

Walking into high school for her fourth and final year, senior Megan Weidenbach encourages  underclassmen to make the most of their time on campus.

“My best advice to freshmen would be to enjoy your time in high school while it lasts,” Weidenbach said. “Try all the activities and clubs that you want because your time at Liberty goes by super fast and you probably won’t be able to experience these things again.”

One of 492 freshmen new to campus, Alex Vasilkovsky is excited for new opportunities.

“I’m looking forward to meeting new people,” Vasilkovksy said via text message. “I heard that freshman year is really easy so I’m not to worried about the transition. I’m expecting to learn and enhance my skill set for the future.”