Featured Athlete: Grace Deshetler

Grade: 9 | Sport: cross country

Featured Athlete: Grace Deshetler

Freshman Grace Deshetler is kicking her high school career off with a running start in cross country. Deshetler likes the ability teammates to push each other in the sport, and plans on running all throughout high school.

Maddie Aronson

Maddie Aronson

Wingspan: How long have you been doing cross country and what got you started?

Deshetler: “I started cross country in 8th grade, I decided I wanted to stay in shape for soccer.” 

Wingspan: What fuels your passion to run?

Deshetler: “My goal is to grow close with the team and improve my race time over the season. I work hard in every practice and make sure to put forth all my effort.”

Wingspan: What are your goals for this season and how are you working to achieve them?

Deshetler: “My favorite part about being on the team is the bond between everyone and how accepting the team is of one another.” 

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about being on the team?

Wingspan: Are you planning to continue the sport in the future?

Deshetler: “I am hoping to run all through highschool. I haven’t thought much about running in college, but I’m open to the idea.”

Wingspan: What makes cross country different from other sports?

Deshetler: “Cross country is both a team and an individual sport so you are responsible for yourself, but can also help push your teammates.” 

Wingspan: How do you mentally prepare yourself before a race?

Deshetler: “I just motivate myself with positive thoughts and i think about crossing the finish line.”