Attendance zone finalized for new high school

The+school+board+meeting+Monday+night+will+recognize+student+success+and+discuss+the+future+of+the+district.++

The school board meeting Monday night will recognize student success and discuss the future of the district.

Sarah Philips, Editor-in-chief

After months of workshopping, the final attendance zones for Lebanon Trail High School were announced at the district board meeting Monday night, affecting Liberty, Centennial, Frisco, and Independence zones. But just as with every new school opened in the district, concerns arise among the public when it comes time to rezone students for new schools.

“It’s so exciting to be able to build these wonderful, new high schools but it also makes everybody nervous in terms of where they are going to go to school,” Superintendent Jeremy Lyon said. “We’ve got to make sure we do it right. With every single high school we open, the intent is that we plan it, and build it, and open it with this great focus on the student experience.”

Lebanon Trail will open for the 2016-2017 school year, putting Frisco ISD on track for opening four new high schools in four years, with Memorial High School slated to open for the 2017-2018 school year. But according to Lyon, because of massive growth, Frisco ISD is not predicting the introduction of new schools to slow down any time soon.

“We have huge housing developments planned that are starting to develop,” Lyon said. “So we could conceive high school 11, high school 12, high school 13, high school 14. At some point we will max out, but when we max out, is down the road. We do know the district will end up with about 75,000 to 80,000 students, so we still have a ways to go.”