Changing the scene, theater members attend ITS Festival

Provided by Megan Mills

Seniors Vaibhavi Bamane, Megan Mills, and Meri Tamiru attended the first day of the International Thespian Society Festival. The festival is hosted at the Gaylord Texan hotel in Grapevine.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

For the annual International Thespian Society Festival, members of ITS headed to a three day convention at the Gaylord Thursday, to participate in a variety of workshops, shows, and theatrical learning experiences.

“I think that it’s a really good way to get connected with other theatre students as well as professionals who we can learn a lot from,” senior Lauren Head said. “I’m looking forward to seeing shows and doing workshops that will help me learn or enhance different skills.”

Throughout the weekend, participants will have the opportunity to speak to other students, teachers, and professionals, and Head believes this can be very helpful in developing performance skills.

“It’s really beneficial to everyone who goes because there are hundreds of workshops going on that cater to everyone’s interests,” Head said. “It gives us a chance to really improve our skills with teachers who are extremely qualified, and also try new things.”

For sophomore Jane Wester, the festival is an opportunity to experience theatre from different perspectives with like minded people from across the state.

“There are tons of learning opportunities through workshops and master classes and numerous competitions,” Wester said. “ITS is an international organization, so there’s thousands of us just in Texas, and it’s really cool to be with so many of those members that all share the same passion.”

The trip will immerse the students in theatre and performing arts for a few days, to help them practice, learn, and grow in their art form, and for Wester, the experience is a great way to build connections in the community.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting new people from other schools. It’s always helpful to make connections and get advice from a different perspective,” Wester said. “It helps with everything from performance ability to being able to meet new people, but it also really shows a lot of us that there are hundreds of people just like us that we haven’t even met yet.