Small grease fire quickly extinguised

Frisco Fire Department trucks were in front of the school for a while Wednesday afternoon after a small grease fire ignited in the culinary arts room. There was no damage or injuries but the room filled with smoke leaving a smell that permeated much of the school.

Sarah Philips

Frisco Fire Department trucks were in front of the school for a while Wednesday afternoon after a small grease fire ignited in the culinary arts room. There was no damage or injuries but the room filled with smoke leaving a smell that permeated much of the school.

Jay Schlaegel, Assignment Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Smoke filled the culinary arts room Wednesday afternoon due to a small fire with the odor of smoke permeating much of the campus. The Frisco Fire Department responded, but the incident had already been extinguished.

With students looking on, teacher Nija Higgins puts out a small grease fire as smoke lingers in the air of the culinary arts room.

With students looking on, teacher Nija Higgins puts out a small grease fire as smoke lingers in the air of the culinary arts room.

“In Intro to Culinary Arts there was a very small grease fire today during third period,” assistant principal Cindi Osborne said via email. “Ms. Higgins responded quickly, evacuating the classroom and using the fire extinguisher. Everyone is fine, as there were no injuries.”

Although the room filled with smoke, students and staff responded.

“The pot caught on fire,” senior Lisette Castro said. “So we did the smart thing and put it in the sink. We put flour on it to contain it and it kind of just got worse so I went and got the fire extinguisher and gave it to the teacher and she put it out.”