Redhawks dribble down the path to state

Tuesday+night+the+girls+team+were+able+to+cage+the+Reedy+Lions+34-18.+However+shortly+after+their+win+the+boys+fell+short+60-52.+

Michael Martin

Tuesday night the girls team were able to cage the Reedy Lions 34-18. However shortly after their win the boys fell short 60-52.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Advancing to round two of the UIL 5A Region II playoffs, girls’ basketball goes head to head against South Oak Cliff at the Carrollton R.L. Turner High School Friday at 7:00 p.m.

The Golden Bears went 11-1 in their district season and our riding a 10 game winning streak. Junior Kayla Pernis is expecting a tough game to inch closer to state.

“They are an athletic team that knows their capabilities and what they’re good at,” Pernis said. “To be able to beat them, we need to stick to our game plan which is to play to our strengths and control the tempo of the game in all four quarters.”

Knocking Lovejoy out of playoffs on Tuesday, the Redhawks are hoping to carry over their momentum and energy from the victory.

“I am expecting our team to just go out and work hard,” junior Lilly Ziemkiewicz said. “We have prepared really well and just need to focus on executing our scouting report offensively and defensively. I just hope we can go out and have fun and play loose. I expect myself to go out there, work really hard, and do whatever is necessary for us to pull out a win.”