Redhawks adjust to ending the year online

Campus+hallways+and+classrooms+are+empty+as+students+and+teachers+take+part+in+eLearning+amidst+the+COVID-19+outbreak.+In+order+to+maintain+a+classroom+environment%2C+a+common+way+teachers+connect+with+students+is+through+a+video+communication+application+called+Zoom.+

Emily Vetvick

Campus hallways and classrooms are empty as students and teachers take part in eLearning amidst the COVID-19 outbreak. In order to maintain a classroom environment, a common way teachers connect with students is through a video communication application called Zoom.

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Following Governor Greg Abbott’s Friday announcement that Texas schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year, students and teachers have been adapting to the reality of eLearning for six more weeks.

Abbott’s announcement did not come as a surprise for biology teacher Chris Ham prepared for this scenario with his fellow educators.

“We planned for the worst and assumed that school would be closed for the rest of the year,” Ham said via email. “So the official announcement to close school didn’t really impact our planning. We’ll just continue to teach online. In terms of adapting, it’s really important for us to understand that this is a new environment. Some families are going through financial issues. Some students have issues and limitations at home. My expectations reflect that. For example, I don’t expect all of my students to turn in their work on time with perfect answers. There is a lot of leniency and understanding built-in.”

As many students are struggling with losing the final months of the school year, Ham explains that he shares their feelings.

“I want my students to know that taking care of yourself and your family members is #1,” Ham said via email. “School can come in later. But, communicate any struggles or challenges with your teachers. So that they are aware, and they can adjust to your needs. Personally, I feel that the best part of my job is taken away. The best part of my job is being in the classroom and interacting with students. So it has been difficult for me. I’m doing what I can to find the best methods to teach online while being understanding of my students’ situations.”  

The closure of school has left many teachers to rework end-of-year events. Fine arts organizations including orchestra, band, and Red Rhythm have already moved their auditions online for the next school year.

“While [the news] was not surprising, it definitely was sad to think about and we hope that you all are still doing well and staying healthy,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock wrote in an email to orchestra families. “Moving forward-the closing of the school means that we have made a few adjustments. This year’s auditions will be online through Google Classroom. This means you have as many takes as you want to submit your best, but don’t wear yourself out–remember, the audition is only a part of the decision making process.” 

Hoping to receive input from students, Frisco ISD sent out a survey to seniors as they search for a solution regarding graduation ceremonies.

“I wasn’t surprised to hear that school would be cancelled, but it was still a big disappointment,” senior Bella Devega said. “I know that everyone is doing what they can, but I miss being able to spend these final months with my friends. Hopefully we will be able to have a real prom and graduation at a later date.”