2 Redhawks receive National Merit scholarships

Sarah Boutouis

Redhawk National Merit Semifinalists from 2019 stand during a recognition ceremony during Monday night’s monthly school board meeting. Recognized for their high scoring performance on the PSAT, the seniors have the chance to score thousands in scholarship funds.

Trisha Dasgupta, Staff Reporter

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation chooses 3,500 students every year to be awarded $2,500 scholarships and corporate-sponsored scholarships, and this year two students on campus, Nandasri Talluri and Andrew T. Sen were honored as recipients. 

“This year’s National Merit Scholarship Program began in October 2018 when more than 1.5 million juniors took the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) as an initial screen for this honor,” Frisco ISD said on its website. “The highest-scoring participants, representing less than one percent of the nation’s high school seniors, were then named Semifinalists. This included more than 70 students in Frisco ISD who were announced this past fall.”

Talluri is the recipient of a $2,500 scholarship for her studies in biology, and Sen will be rewarded a corporate-sponsored scholarship for computer science.

“Congratulations to these FISD student scholarship winners judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills and potential for success in future rigorous college studies,” FISD said. “The National Merit Scholarship Corporation will release another set of names in June and July for college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards. We look forward to celebrating their accomplishments soon!”