Rhea of Sunshine: are high school relationships necessary?

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

I don’t know about you guys but this week has flown by super fast for me. We’re only one day away from Thanksgiving Break which is crazy. 

It was actually my birthday on Monday, and all my friends and family we’re calling and texting to wish me a happy birthday. It got me thinking about life, and what’s more important right now in high school… friendships or relationships?

Obviously you can have both a relationship and friendships but if I had to choose one, it’d be friendships. It’s been statistically proven that only two percent of high school couples actually last and get married. Two percent! Now, I’m not hating on any high school relationships. If you’re happy, I’m happy. However, when I hear my friends talking about wanting a boyfriend or girlfriend it just makes me wonder, why?

Focusing on school and making lifetime friendships is really important. Our current actions, extracurricular activities, grades, clubs, ect, are what is going to help us get into college and build a life for ourselves. There is so much time for relationships, getting married, settling down, and much more. 

No, I’m not trying to be the fun police either. I can understand young love, cute dates, homecoming and prom proposals. Again, if you’re happy, I’m happy. But from personal experience and what I’ve heard from most people, friendships will take you much farther during high school than a relationship.

Yes, there are always unique situations for people, which is why I’m saying no hate against anyone in a high school relationship, these are just my thoughts. Having some fun, dependable, loyal, trustworthy friends during our high school careers are really important. Not only to have people to talk to at school, but to help our brains function better. Knowing that you aren’t alone and having people you can rely on constantly, is really comforting. Not to mention, more comforting during these very uncertain and unpredictable times. 

I’d love to hear your comments, opinions, and thoughts about this topic! Feel free to contact me for that or if any of you ever need to talk to someone!

P.S. make sure to wish our Liberty High Football team the best of luck as today is the homecoming game!

Have a great day, and I’ll see you guys after the break.