Piece by Piece: make the time

Brian Higgins

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

Time has been moving so quickly. I’m already a junior in high school. The ‘hardest year of high school’ is already halfway over. Soon I’ll be off to college and I’ll look back on all this as just a memory. That sounds so crazy to me.

It’s a fact of life that time moves on but I think since I’ve been so enveloped in the small day to day happenings that make up high school, I’ve let the bigger picture get away from me. 

Every day is defined by another quiz or test and down to the hourmark, even, our time is defined by yet another class. So much of our adolescence is sectioned off and compartmentalized and that’s why when I look at my freshmen and sophomore year with hindsight, most of what I see is tucked away in tiny boxes. 

I want to correct this going forward and, somehow, be able to look back at this point in my life (and every point) and see it goal by goal, achievement by achievement. Not day by day. 

I think that might be how to break up the monotony that comes with living a pretty satisfactory life in Plano. Life here is good, albeit sort of boring, but by most people’s definitions, it’s also very, very good. 

Sometimes I wonder what exactly people mean when they talk about “the good life.” Do they mean they want to live life happy and fulfilled or do they mean they want to live life in a big suburban house with a steady income? They could mean both, but by most people’s expectations I think they assume one to naturally guarantee the other. They think if they secure that job and therefore don’t have to worry about meeting life’s basic end (food, a roof, ect.), the rest will naturally come. 

In my experience, though, with stability and all that, life can very easily once again become kind of mundane. Hobbies are reworked to fit the Saturday-Sunday time slot and once security is assured, I don’t think most of us seek much more. Besides, where would we find the time? 

That’s why I think (as literally everyone says) the best job to have is your hobby. I know that’s not profound at all but  the older we get and the closer we inch to that cozy six figure job, the more we stray away from that advice and reimagine our passions as merely ornamental. I never want to sit in the rec room and tell my coworkers about all the things I love to do, but just can never find the time for. So to avoid that from happening, I want to make the time for such things, not have to ‘find’ it later in life.