Soccer hopes to freeze out the Knights

Troy Williams

The girls’ soccer team retreated back to The Nest on Friday after a loss in the first round of playoffs to Frisco High School. “The girls played really well we executed our game plan really well, just didn’t come out for us, and sometimes that happens,” head coach Kyle Beggs said.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

WIth temperatures expected to be close to, or below freezing on Tuesday night, the Redhawks soccer teams are seeking to put the heat on the Independence Knights in the second round of  District 9-5A play. 

The girls’ team is looking to improve its 6th place standing, and get a valuable three points with a win over the Knights in a game expected to start at 5:30 p.m. 

“We are really focusing on starting our first half strong,” senior Avery Jennings said. “And not having to worry about playing catch up in the second half.” 

Back at The Nest, the boys’ team is hosting the Knights with the game starting at approximately 7:15 p.m. 

The Redhawks are in the middle of the playoff chase but enter Tuesday’s game coming off a 3-1 loss to Memorial on Feb. 5.

“Against Independence we are trying to control the midfield and prevent counterattacks,” junior Evan Moros said. “We are going to play hard, play fast, give 110 percent effort, and make smart decisions on the ball and off it to win.”