NHS applications due Friday

Sarah Philips

National Honor Society will be holding their first meeting in person meetings of the year since Spring 2020 this Tuesday and Wednesday. “I think the biggest difference between last year and now is the volunteer opportunities we have for members,” she said. “This year, we really want to provide opportunities that are geared towards our members’ interests.”

Ana Cuen, Managing Editor

Dedicated to students who display commitment to service and scholarship, the National Honor Society chapter on campus is accepting applications from current sophomores and juniors for the 2021-2022 school year until Friday at 4:30 p.m.

“We are looking for students that have a minimum of a 4.0 weighted GPA, possess adequate leadership skills, have experience with volunteering in community service projects, and not have any disciplinary issues,” NHS sponsor Amber Bennett said. “Students are required to obtain two teacher recommendations along with a community member recommendation that indicates that they are cooperative, responsible, reliable, and honest. Students completing all of the requirements and completing the application in its entirety will be accepted into NHS.”

For NHS vice president senior Ariana Khan, being in NHS means continuing a life of passion and service beyond the application process.

“A student in NHS is responsible, selfless, and passionate,” Khan said. “A member needs to be doing well in school but should be able to balance their responsibilities with the duties of an NHS member. More importantly, an NHS member should truly care about making an impact on their community even after leaving the halls of Liberty. Our members are always looking for a way to help their peers, teachers, and even people around the world.”

Those interested in applying can find the NHS forms here, and any questions can be directed to sponsors Amber Bennett and Kelly Duckworth.

“The process includes three forms,” NHS president senior Laura Young said. “The first form details basic contact information. The second form is a quiz over the NHS Bylaws. Finally, the last form is for applicants to show their extracurricular involvement, academic performance, and service to the community. This is also where students need to acquire teacher and community recommendations.”