Piece by Piece: counting the days

Brian Higgins

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

Everyday it seems like I ask myself how much time we have left of school. I tally up the weeks and count the days and, every time, I reconsider my calculation thinking “there’s no way we have that much time left.”

This year has gone by fast, but it has been so very long. I hear a song I listened to chronically in October and only after immense recollection does it register that that was just a few months ago. 

At the same time, I realize things like the fact that April 1 was two weeks ago. Just two weeks ago from the moment I’m writing this, Mr. Harris was pranking us with a pretend student mandated Simon Says drill. After all these reflections, I cannot help but be confounded by the two directions time seems to be pulling me in. 

Maybe this year feels so much longer because of last year and how we basically got off the last quarter. Maybe we’re tired from all the stress of political and societal problems. I don’t know, but I do know that regardless of why, we’re all exhausted. 

Most of my classes aren’t any harder, most are easier in fact with the project/review season in session. It is such a blessing when I walk into a class to find that all there is on the board is a class discussion or a guided practice. And what a relief it is to know that in just a few weeks, with all the AP testing finally over, in virtually all my classes I will be off the hook. 

Sandwiched between that sweet relief, though, there are of course the actual tests, and I cross my fingers I will be mentally primed by then. 

Any counselor will tell you it’s not enough to simply ‘cross your fingers,’ and I know that full well too. Sometimes it’s not about being simply lazy or just slow, as teachers are often prone to assume. Sometimes it is God’s honest mental exhaustion. 

Whether the weeks between now and then go by quickly or at snail’s pace, I hope that they give adequate time to get prepared. Afterall developments, it’s good to remind yourself that the fraction of school remaining is miniscule in relation to all the rest we’ve already gone through. In other words, you got this.