Breaking News: Frisco ISD introduces plan for permanent virtual school

Starting+with+the+2021-2022+school+year%2C+students+in+grades+3-12%2C+pending+state+approval%2C+are+eligible+to+opt+out+of+in-person+school+as+Frisco+ISD+proposes+its+plan+for+an+all-virtual+school.+The+plan+is+depending+upon+certain+things+happening+in+Austin+during+the+current+legislative+session.+

Kasey Harvey

Starting with the 2021-2022 school year, students in grades 3-12, pending state approval, are eligible to opt out of in-person school as Frisco ISD proposes its plan for an all-virtual school. The plan is depending upon certain things happening in Austin during the current legislative session.

Trisha Dasgupta, Editor-in-Chief

Frisco ISD is planning to introduce a permanent virtual school, pending state approval, for students grades 3-12 for the 2021-2022 school year according to a news release posted on the district website Wednesday.  

“Frisco ISD is excited to provide students with permanent access to online learning through the introduction of the Virtual School as the newest Frisco ISD School of Choice,” Superintendent of Schools Dr. Mike Waldrip said in the release. “While we have been studying this learning option for our community for some time, COVID-19 gave us the opportunity to push this priority to the forefront and we hope it will provide families with desired flexibility now and into the future.”

The plans for a 2021-2022 Virtual Academy hinges on the passing of certain legislation, but the district is hopeful that the necessary laws will be passed in the near future. 

“While FISD is still waiting for the Texas Legislature to pass legislation that would allow this opportunity to become a reality for our district, we are encouraged with several bills that are currently making their way through the legislative process,” Chief Academic Officer Dr. Wes Cunningham said in the release. “Although we may not know final details of a new law related to online learning for several weeks, we believe it is in the best interest of our students and families to begin formal preparations for a Virtual School at this time. 

Students in the potential school will attend every class period online, with limited electives and no extracurriculars such as athletics, or fine arts classes.

Families looking to enroll their students in the virtual academy for the entire 2021-2022 school year will be able to apply beginning April 28.