NHS meetings back to in person

Sarah Philips

National Honor Society will be holding their first meeting in person meetings of the year since Spring 2020 this Tuesday and Wednesday. “I think the biggest difference between last year and now is the volunteer opportunities we have for members,” she said. “This year, we really want to provide opportunities that are geared towards our members’ interests.”

Caroline Caruso, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The National Honor Society chapter on campus will be hosting its first series of meetings for the school year this Tuesday and Wednesday. Held in the auditorium during advisory, these will be the first in-person events NHS has hosted since the spring of 2020. 

“Last year we had one meeting and it was through a slideshow, virtually,” NHS Secretary Caleb Faulkner said. “It just kind of felt like [something was missing in the] organization just because of how little was possible. But this year it should be a lot more interactive, especially since we have our first meeting in person.”

For Vice President Marcela Pedron, the Liberty chapter has helped her build connections all across campus. She hopes this continues throughout meetings and events this year. 

“I love getting to connect with students at this school as well as being able to serve our community,” Pedron said. “I think it’s a great way to meet new people and help others out.”

President Karis Ahn is in anticipation of the new opportunities NHS members will be able to take advantage of this year. 

“I think the biggest difference between last year and now is the volunteer opportunities we have for members,” she said. “This year, we really want to provide opportunities that are geared towards our members’ interests. We want to make volunteering something that our members look forward to rather than something that they do just to meet the requirements.”

Ahn believes the core values of NHS fall back to community service, which she finds will be much more rewarding now that students are able to interact at events face-to-face. 

“I feel that [Liberty NHS] recognizes our members for their hard work and allows us to give back to our community through service,” Ahn said. “I am extremely excited and thankful to have the opportunity to lead the organization this year.”