Football seeks second straight win to start season

Michael Martin

Football rallies together for third match of the season. The team takes on Greenville High School at 7:00 p.m.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Hot off of a 50-49 win against the Reedy Lions, football gears up for its second, and final, non-district game Friday at 7:00 p.m. against Greenville High School at Toyota Stadium.

Entering Friday’s game with a 1-0 record, junior Keldric Luster seeks an even stronger bond amongst the team. 

“This season I really want us to be able to come together more as a family,” Luster said. “I feel like last year we were really new to the whole playoffs thing and I think that with the way we play, we can keep making playoffs consistently if we keep working hard as a group.”

Winning comes with more than just a leading score and according to head coach Matt Swinnea it also brings a leadership role he believes his team is fully capable of handling.

“We talk to all of the kids all of the time about being that role model on the team and I think people that have notoriety are definitely going to have the spotlight on them this year,” Swinnea said. “I don’t have any doubt that they will rise to the occasion this season.”