ASVAB test informational meeting this Thursday

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery registration is open. The window to register is open to Nov. 18, and the test is on Dec. 1.

Czaria Jones

Rishika Desai, Staff Reporter

An informational meeting for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is being held Thursday in the lecture hall during advisory. 

The test consists of seven sections: general science, arithmetic reasoning, word knowledge, paragraph comprehension, mathematics knowledge, electronics information, auto information, shop information, mechanical comprehension, and assembling objects. 

The test is meant to show student’s level of proficiency in regard to the military, but it also can be used as an aptitude test students can refer to when thinking about non-military careers as well. 

Counselor Ryan Kiefer previously served in the military, and believes students thinking about joining the military should do research before making any big decisions. 

“A lot of students come in and they think they know where they want to go, like the Marines, or Air Force or Guard. But I always tell them to first of all try to be an officer if they can because it’s hard to move from an enlist to an officer,” Kiefer said in a previous interview with Wingspan. “And another thing I say is you need to check out every branch because until you ask the questions, they each have different programs and so they really need to talk to every branch in the military to make sure it’s the correct fit for them.”

The deadline to sign up for the ASVAB is Nov. 19.