Frisco ISD announces hybrid and online learning programs

Remi Williams

Frisco ISD is hosting another Achieve Mentor Training on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. The training is at the Frisco ISD Administration building.

Trisha Dasgupta, Editor In Chief

After years of legislative efforts, Frisco ISD will offer both hybrid and fully online high school courses starting with the 2022-2023 school year.

“This is something we have been working on for years and we are thankful that Senate Bill 15 has propelled us forward in this journey,” Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip said in a news release on FISD’s website. “We are always looking for ways to evolve while expanding opportunities for our students and staff.”

Students opting for the hybrid program will attend some classes online with the rest of their schedule in-person. The application window to to apply for the online and hybrid FISD+ programming opens Dec. 1.

“Students will take their four “core” classes (English, math, science and social studies) online and will go to campus for all other classes, enabling them maximum access to FISD campus programming while also satisfying graduation requirements,” Frisco ISD said in a statement. “Hybrid students are eligible to participate in UIL activities, fine arts, athletics, CTE programs and more.

The district has been advocating for online programming for years now, looking to provide flexibility for students who may need it. 

“Education is evolving and FISD students deserve the flexibility to engage with their learning in new and innovative ways with a District curriculum that encourages inquiry- and project-based learning,” FISD Director of Innovative Learning Tiffany Carey said in a news release on FISD’s website.“Teaching and learning will look different depending on the class but students can generally expect to work independently and collaboratively, while also frequently engaging with a teacher in live instruction.”