Knights duel with Redhawks

Addy Schick

The Redhawks look to shoot and score on Tuesday in a District 9-5A game against the Independence Knights. While the athletes feel this is not their biggest competition yet, they still believe that they must treat each game with equal importance as not to get ahead of themselves.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The Redhawks are looking to soar over the Independence Knights while maintaining their four game win streak Tuesday in a District 9-5A girls’ basketball matchup.

“Independence is pretty straight forward as far as what they do,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “In a sense, there’s enough personnel differences of what this would mean for our personnel and how we are going to play. We are transitioning a couple players from being strictly inside players to being inside and outside players so we will be able to learn a lot about ourselves.”

Coming off of a 51-17 win against the Wakeland Wolverines, the Redhawks are looking to execute.

“We are not so much worried about maintaining our win streak as we are executing,” sophomore Keyera Roberts said. “Of course we want to win games but we also want to continue to get better as a team and one way we can do that is by executing.”

Even though they are getting deeper into their season, the Redhawks are still looking to expand their skill sets.

“You see they have a grasp of it, you start to let them take on things themselves,” Reedy said. “You don’t drop somebody who doesn’t know Spanish in a Spanish speaking country. You help them through some conversations and once you see they have a grasp of it you start to let them take on things themselves. It’s the same with basketball, defensively you have to show someone how to go about doing something that feels different for them and once they start to grasp it that’s when you ask them ‘what did you see here’ and things like that. Offensively it’s the same. If you’re trying to expand somebody’s range you have to show them what they are looking for, when the help comes, where are you looking to attack when this happens so it’s a mix of teaching and then once they start to grasp, let them experience.”

Approaching everyday the same, whether it’s a game or practice, is important for the Redhawks.

“Everyone says trust the process but then they don’t always do it,” Reedy said. “You can’t only get up and play for big games or tournaments. That means you’re saying for 16 games, I am going to play and for the rest I’m just going to get through them. You approach everything the same way and the girls we have are the best example of this. You know after a big win against Memorial they still come in expecting to work. You can’t do a 2 hour scout for a big opponent and a 3 minute scout for an opponent who may not be as good. Now obviously you have to adjust, maybe you need more court time this day or more film time this day but if you don’t win every moment you’re in it will catch up to you.”