Girls’ basketball dribbles their way into playoffs

Harley Classe

Looking to secure the ball for his team, #5 Jonathan Dupree-Buford tips the ball. The ball moves in favor of the Redhawks, giving the team the head start they are looking for.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The Redhawks girls’ and boys’ basketball teams took on the Reedy Lions in a District 9-5A matchup at The Nest on Tuesday. 

After a senior night celebration, the girls’ team took the court for their last game of district play this year and cruised into the playoffs with a 52-33 win.

“It gives us confidence ending on a good note, while still seeing what we need to work on,” junior Jezelle Moreno said.

Even though the team has run into challenges and adversity all year, they still finished as district champions with a 17-1 record (30-5 overall). 

“Adversity and hardship is only the beginning when playoffs start,” Moreno said. “This is when the team really comes together as a unit because we all have one goal in mind.”

After celebrating their only senior, Drew Johnson, the boys’ team took the court. However, the team was unsuccessful in continuing their six game winning streak, losing to the Lions 60-50 and falling to 11-5 in district play. 

“Playing back to back [nights] was kind of tough,” junior Jonathan Dupree said. “We just did our best both nights and played our game.”

With two more district games to go before the playoffs begin Monday at 6:30p.m. at Plano West High School, they aren’t slowing down just yet.

“We’re just going to go over our plays and get ready to play to the best of our ability,” Dupree said.