Swinging into a new rhythm for jazz band auditions

Former+senior+trumpet+player+Sid+Sadhu+practices+his+instrument+to+prepare+to+play+with+his+group.+With+their+eyes+set+on+Mays+Spring+Swing+performance%2C+band+students+will+begin+auditions+for+jazz+band.+Many+band+members+are+excited+for+a+new+opportunity+outside+of++normal+band+practices.+

Sid Sadhu

Former senior trumpet player Sid Sadhu practices his instrument to prepare to play with his group. With their eyes set on May’s Spring Swing performance, band students will begin auditions for jazz band. Many band members are excited for a new opportunity outside of normal band practices.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Band students are swinging into a new rhythm, with some improvisation and new harmonies in their jazz band auditions that began Monday and continue through Thursday, with an eye of performing at the Spring Swing in May.

“Being in jazz band is learning a new style of music, and performing in a different type of ensemble,” assistant director of bands Cecily Yoakam said. “Students are exposed more in a jazz band than in a concert or marching band setting, and it allows students to develop different skills such as improvisation, complex music with a lot of individualized parts, and new rhythms and styles.”

The opportunity to audition for a different band is something senior Ritesh Ravi is looking forward to. 

“Jazz players get to experience a new type of music writing with a new style,” Ravi said. “It is another way to play the same instrument. I decided to audition because I simply love playing the trumpet. If I join, I will be able to play more with my friends who also love jazz.”

While any instrument can technically be in a jazz band, the most common and important ones are trumpet, trombone, saxophone, and drums.

“Jazz bands are really cool because you can learn music that you wouldn’t normally play in a band and you can play with people you may not normally play with,” senior Advaith Dinesh said. “In the past we have also had performances to showcase our jazz skills and perform music that I think is more fun to listen to.”

For the audition process students must prepare a past All-Region jazz etude, as well as a section of their own improvisation.

“One reason I wanted to audition is because I have so many friends auditioning too which would make being in a jazz band even more fun so hopefully all of us get selected,” Dinesh said. “I also took part in a jazz band my freshman year and haven’t been able to since.”