Soccer scoring wins at the Ford Center

Troy Williams

The soccer teams hit the field Wednesday with the girls’ kicking off district play. The girls face Centennial High School, while the boys take on Diamond-Hill Jarvis.

Haley Ward, Sports Reporter

It was a clean sweep for the Redhawk soccer teams against the Independence Knights on Tuesday at the Ford Center.

After falling short earlier in the season against the Knights, the girls’ team was able to redeem themselves with a 3-2 win. 

“We played well and put up a good fight until the end,” freshman Isabella Marroquin said. “We ultimately won, which was what we were aiming for especially after losing last time.”

Following a slow start in the first half, the boys’ team recovered and finished the game with a 2-1 win over Independence. 

This win brings their undefeated record to 7-0-4 in District 9-5A, and ranks them in third place below Lone Star and Wakeland. 

“We had a very slow start in the first half and it was not one of our strongest halves of the year,” head coach Evan McGee said. “We actually went down 1-0 and after halftime, the guys kind of had a good strong response to being down 1-0, and they really fought to the end and ended up winning 2-1, with some late drama with four seconds left in the game.”