Students present research at annual ISM showcase

@LHSRedhawks

After almost two semesters of working and researching in the career field of their choosing, Independent Study and Mentorship students will be presenting their work during Final Presentation night on Wednesday.

Trisha Dasgupta, Editor-in-Chief

After a semester of working and researching in the career field of their choosing, Independent Study and Mentorship students will be presenting their work at the annual ISM Showcase at the FISD Athletic Facility Wednesday at 6:30 pm.

“It’s a really good time for our students to showcase their work this year and introduce their mentor to their community,” ISM teacher Kelli Secord said. “They also get to talk to people about their future in ISM ahead of the rest of the year.”

Students will be talking about their Original Work projects, which are the culmination of a semester’s worth of research. 

“I’m excited to show all my friends and family and everyone else what I’ve done for the first semester and introduce my mentor and just talk about my mentor experience so far,” senior Anika Patel said. “Last semester I created a patient guide to anesthesia detailing how they can prepare for it and the side effects and just common misconceptions.”

Original work projects are as diverse as the topics students have selected, ranging from pediatrics to computer science. 

“So for my topic in ISM this year, I’m doing machine learning, and since tonight’s showcase on my board, I have my resume, my research assessment, and my original work,” junior Vinay Pattanashettar. “For the showcase, I’m gonna have my computer showing my original work. Basically, I’ve taken a data set and run it through a bunch of machine learning algorithms, and I found out the one that’s the most optimal for it.”

ISM students from Frisco High School will also be presenting and the event will last from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.