CTE Mock Trial Team honored by City Council

Maya Silberman

The Frisco ISD CTE Mock Trial was dedicated an official day by Frisco City Council after all their hard work during their season.

Christine Han, Guest Contributor

After placing second at the Texas High School Mock Trial state competition in March, the Frisco CTE Mock Trial Team was honored by the Frisco City Council Tuesday as April 5, 2022 was officially proclaimed “CTE Mock Trial Team Day” by Mayor Jeff Cheney.

“This was my first year on the team, and I’m exceptionally proud of how we did,” Memorial junior Jackson Price said. “Placing second at state was amazing so receiving recognition from the city council was something I didn’t expect.” 

At the city council meeting, mayor Jeff Cheney honored the team and congratulated them on their performance. 

“I, Jeff Cheney, Mayor of the City of Frisco, Texas, do hereby proclaim April 5, 2022 as CTE Mock Trial Team Day,” Cheney said during the city council meeting. “Their success is a testament to their hard work and dedication and to the outstanding support of their teachers and parents.”

Team attorney advisor, Ernest Leonard, says the proclamation is warranted.

“This is the highest the Frisco CTE has ever placed in the Texas High School Mock Trial Competition,” Leonard said. “This was also the first time the city council ever recognized us as well, and it was a well deserved recognition.” 

For many on the team, the recognition served as proof of the team’s growth throughout the season, as well as compared to previous seasons.

“Last year we ended up placing twelfth at state, so placing second was a huge jump from the previous years,” Wakeland junior Ava Boswell said. “I know there was a lot of work and effort put into the team from everyone so no matter what had happened I would have been proud.” 

The recognition was a momentous occasion for the team, and will motivate Independence junior Nivy Manikandan in the coming season.

“Having a day dedicated to us was not expected but very much appreciated,” Manikandan said. “Using this recognition as motivation, we’re gonna work harder and improve for the next season. You know training and recruiting and just making sure we perform as best as we can.”