National Honor Society opens officer elections for next school year

Sarah Phillips

National Honor Society is holding their second mandatory meeting for members Wednesday and Thursday in the auditorium. “During the NHS meeting we will go over hour requirements for this semester, reintroduce officers, and introduce new FISD hour requirements,” NHS president Reva Kabnurkar said.

Voting for 2022-2023 National Honor Society officers opens Friday with current NHS members who are sophomores or juniors eligible to vote. 

“A lot of people applied so we first had to fill out a Google form application as to why we wanted to run, and from there they narrowed it down,” junior and NHS president candidate Jayna Yoon said. “Right now everyone who was chosen is in the middle of campaigning, posting on social media, talking to people, and making our campaign videos.” 

Being an officer takes a lot of time, effort, and commitment according to NHS secretary Caleb Faulkner. 

From being an NHS officer, I’ve learned that being in a leadership position requires a lot of work and sometimes, some stress when big things in the organization change,” Faulkner said. “I’ve learned a lot about managing time, and how important organization is in leadership roles for things like NHS. There are many dates and specific details that need to be recognized, planned, and announced so that members of NHS aren’t left in the dark.”

Faulkner believes NHS officers have to set a good example to the other members of the organization, but also be approachable. 

NHS officers need to set a professional but outgoing example so that members have respect for their work but also aren’t afraid to contact any of them when they have questions about something,” he said. 

Officers are also responsible for making sure NHS members are informed and accountable.

“So NHS officers serve a role in NHS by communicating with members, pushing out any NHS directives, organizing the community service hours, checking to make sure all the members keep to the high standards that we have in NHS,” NHS sponsor Joseph DeLarios said. “Really they function as the board of NHS, they make the whole thing run essentially.” 

DeLarios believes communication is one of the most important traits for an NHS officer to have. 

“Being an officer goes back to the representation of the 4 colors of NHS.,” DeLarios said. “Being an excellent student, being a servant leader, as well as being able to communicate at a high level. Leadership is your ability to communicate, and communicating clearly is important, and I think that’s one of the characteristics of someone who is looking to attain an officer position in NHS should work on.”