Redhawks aiming to bounce back at NISD Volleyball Classic

Sophia Hung

The Redhawk volleyball team heads to Lebanon Trail High School on Friday to take on the Trail Blazers. The Redhawks currently sit in first place in District 10-5A, and aim to earn another win on Friday.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

After placing 2nd in their first tournament of the preseason, the volleyball team hopes to come out on top Thursday in their second preseason tournament, the NISD Volleyball Classic.

“The NISD Volleyball Classic is a preseason tournament held every year,” head volleyball coach Eighmy Dobbins said. “It attracts some of the best volleyball programs in the state of Texas. Teams come from all over the state to compete in the tournament. For example, we are playing a team from Houston.”

With the start of district play in early September, junior Gabbi Fasciano believes the girls are using this tournament as a learning experience as a team.

“We are playing really difficult teams, so we want to challenge ourselves and learn,” Fasciano said. “Our biggest challenge will be Prosper, but we need to play hard no matter the level of the team. These games will give us momentum for district play.”

But after playing eight games in the Sawyer Camillo Memorial Tournament Aug. 11-12, and a game against Rockwall Heath High School on Tuesday, the real challenge for the team will be stamina according to coach Dobbins.

“This is our second three-day tournament in a row, so the struggle we will have to fight through is fatigue,” Dobbins said. “I know the girls are feeling tired, but if we can stay energized and fight through it, we will have a great weekend.”